Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Different Kind Of Work

One year ago, I began my last day of work. Well, the kind of work that you have to get up early for and commute to, so that you can sit behind a desk all day and get underpaid. Most people complain about their jobs, but I really enjoyed mine. I loved my co-workers, at least most of them anyways, and enjoyed what I did. And I really didn't mind having to leave the house an hour before I had to be behind my desk. I had been at the university for almost five years before I left. I started as a basic receptionist and worked my way up to, well, I won't bore you with what I did because most people don't find it all that interesting. But, I loved it.

Then Zach got orders. To Key West. Good luck finding a job there. So, I became a stay at home mom. No fancy title or salary to go with it. Although, I do consider myself the CEO of the Hinten Family, Key West division :). I had never made it my goal in life to be a stay at home mom, nor was it anything I ever thought I would do. I always assumed that I would have to work.

Then we got to Key West. It was really hard for me at first. I think because there were so many adjustments to make at once. And I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. There's no job description for a stay at home mom. My boss was a one year old. Her only demands were that I feed her and change her every so often. It couldn't be that hard, could it??
And now, one year later, here we are. Staying at home has been a challenge, but I think that we are doing ok. Some days are worse than others, but most of them are pretty good. The only big change is that I now have two bosses instead of one. But who wouldn't want bosses like these?
This is definitely work, but not the kind where I sit behind a desk all day. I may not get paid with money, but I like to think that I get paid in a different way. I have the opportunity to watch my little girls grow up. How awesome is that?! Do I miss my old job? Definitely! Do I enjoy what I am doing now? Most of the time. Will I ever go back to work? Most likely. But for now, I am savoring every moment of this different kind of job.

2 comments:

  1. You are very fortunate to be able to do what you are doing - even if it is very hard at times. I too was lucky to be a stay-at-home Mom for 10 years! You will never regret it. Your family is beautiful. Thanks for being a part of our family at UTSA. I still miss you very much. You and Zach are very blessed..........Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome attitude you have about it! It truly is a blessing to be able to stay home with your kids. I love it but it is definitely tough. Nothing easy about it. But definitely something that you can never regret is spending time with your kids and watching them grow up right before your eyes. It's an amazing gift. : )

    ReplyDelete